One of the perks of being a recognized student organization means you get to apply for funding for your organization's events through the Stout Student Association (SSA) and State Statute 36.09(5) gives students not only the right, but also the responsibility for the management of Segregated University Fees.
Organizations can apply for funding through the Stout Student Association (SSA) through three different means. Click on the chart below for a quick snapshot of the 2013-2014 budget process timeline.
- Annual Budget Process for 2014-2015
- Organizations should use this as their primary source of applying for funding.
- Budgets requests open on October 15th and are due January 31, 2014 at noon
- Budget hearings will run the first couple of weeks in February. You will sign up for a time when submitting your budget request.
- Contingency Funds 2013-2014
- This process is determined on an annual basis by the Financial Affairs Committee (FAC) is only available if there are unspent funds from the previous year.
- Money in this fund varies year to year and in some years there may be no money. Therefore, organizations should use the annual budget process first.
- 2013 – 2014 has three opportunities to apply for contingency funds
- October 14th @ Noon – For events taking place between July 1, 2013 and December 30th 2013.
- December 2nd @ Noon – For events taking place between January 1, 2014
- April 30th, 2014 March 3rd @ Noon – For travel taking place between May 1, 2014 and September 30, 2014.
- For the full guidelines on contingency funds refer here.
- Travel Funds - NEW this year!
- SSA developed a travel fund in April of 2013 which designated $24,000 for the 2013-14 school year to be dedicated to student organization travel.
- Application Deadlines
- October 14th @ Noon – For travel taking place between July 1, 2013 and December 30th 2013
- December 2nd @ Noon – For travel taking place between January 1, 2014 and April 30th, 2014
- March 3rd @ Noon – For travel taking place between May 1, 2014 and September 30, 2014
- For the full guidelines refer below:
- SSA Financial Policy papers state that in order to maintain funding throughout the year:
- Events must be advertised in all: academic buildings, residence halls, dining facilities, the MSC, and Campus Life Today.
- Events having an application to participate must be available for at least 2 weeks prior to the application deadline.
- An SSA identifier must be on all advertisements using Segregated fee funding.
- Follow proper procedures outlined in Attend to Spend by the account manager.
- Proof of event and advertising must be submitted with receipts for reimbursement.
- Annual reports must be complete before an organization can receive new funding.
Quick Facts on Spending
- Every fall, the Treasurer from your organization is required to sign up for an Attend to Spend training. Download this year's training.
- Each organization will find a copy of their allocation on their OrgSync portal (under Treasury).
- Allocations for the 2013-14 year cannot be carried over. Plan accordingly to spend all of your organization’s funds by the end of June 2014.
- Before spending ANY of your funds, ask “Is there funding allocated for this event/purchase?”
- Failure to understand what has been funded can result in an unpleasant surprise.
- You cannot substitute a new and different event for one that has been funded without requesting to do so from Financial Affairs.
- To access and spend ANY of your funds you must work with the Student Orgs Account Manager in the Involvement Center directly.
- Rhonda Rubenzer, email@example.com, 117 MSC
Purchase Request Forms
A Purchase Request form must be completed for every fund transaction in its entirety. Unless, the payee or vendor has already been established with the university, we are required to obtain a W-9 from all payees. Please request a W-9 from the vendor if this is the case.
NOTE TO SPORT CLUBS: Sport Clubs will work directly with Larry Mellinger in all areas of spending, travel, reimbursement, and purchases. Please contact Larry directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 715.232.5190 or in room 41 of the Sports & Fitness Center.
How Do I Complete a Purchase Request Form?
- Submit it electronically here.
- Or download a hard copy and return to Rhonda Rubenzer (117 MSC)
- Use a separate form for each vendor or when reimbursing several members for travel.
- Use one form for multiple payments to same vendor or travel reimbursements for different events for the same person
2. Watch for emails from Rhonda Rubenzer regarding:
- Incomplete paperwork
- Delivery of items ordered
- Paperwork ready for pick up for signatures
- IMPORTANT: Use your organization's UW-Stout email and check it frequently as this is the email Rhonda will use!
- Incomplete paperwork can add significantly to the processing time.
- If you are requesting reimbursement and have receipts, you will need to bring them to Rhonda in person as original receipts MUST be submitted for reimbursement!
- Check the sample forms for the documentation needed for each type of transaction. Samples can be found in the Attend to Spend training.
- If funded for supplies or equipment, credit card ordering can be done for most of this. Work with Rhonda directly on this.