Making Purchases for your Student Organization
Purchasing for your organization is exciting because that means you've been funded! But it also means you need to plan ahead and ensure that you're following proper procedures within the Involvement Center for making your purchases. Have no worries, we have laid out the process for you below!
Meet with your fellow org members and create a plan to spend the money allocated to your organization early in the semester! Anyone spending funds needs to be responsible for following the guidelines set down by the University for purchasing. It is mandatory that the Treasurer from each org attends one of the Attend to Spend workshops. Dates and times will be posted in OrgSync each fall. In addition, it is highly recommended that your organization's Treasurer helps to train and inform those who are in charge of planning events and new officers who are transitioning in.
*Please remember to look at your organization’s allocation in OrgSync to identify the specific categories for spending.*
Any deviation from that document will need to have prior SSA approval in writing before the funds will be released. If you have questions regarding spending, please contact the SSA's Financial Affairs Director, Matt Ollilla (email@example.com), or Rhonda Rubenzer (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you would like to meet with either Matt or Rhonda, please schedule an appointment to assure that the proper time is set aside to answer your questions.
A Purchase Request (PR) form must be submitted to Rhonda Rubenzer in the Involvement Center for every fund transaction and they must be completed in their entirety. If your purchase request form is not complete or is lacking pertinent information, delays will occur and could result in your organization not getting reimbursed.
Unless the payee or vendor has already been established with the university, we are required to obtain the W-9 from all payees. If your organization has a payee (e.g. an official) who has not worked with Stout in the past, please request this from them. Have the official complete it and submit it to Rhonda Rubenzer with the Purchase Request form to pay the individual.
NOTE TO SPORT CLUBS: Sport Clubs will work directly with Larry Mellinger in all areas of spending, travel, reimbursement, and purchases. Please contact Larry directly at email@example.com or 715.232.5190 or in room 41 of the Sports & Fitness Center.
How Do I Complete a Purchase Requisition?
Fill out the Purchasing Request Form!
- Use a separate form for each vendor or when reimbursing several members for travel
- Use one form for multiple payments to same vendor or travel reimbursements for different events for the same person
- Submit the request to Rhonda Rubenzer (Drop off at 117 MSC or email firstname.lastname@example.org)
Watch for e-mails from Rhonda Rubenzer regarding:
- Incomplete paperwork
- Delivery of items ordered
- Paperwork ready for pick up for signatures
- IMPORTANT: Use your organization's UW-Stout email and check it frequently as this is the email Rhonda will use!
- Incomplete paperwork can add significantly to the processing time.
- If you are requesting reimbursement and have receipts, you will need to bring them to Rhonda in person as original receipts MUST be submitted for reimbursement!
- Check the sample forms for the documentation needed for each type of transaction.
Credit card ordering can be done for most supply and equipment orders. If your organization is funded for office supplies, contact Rhonda Rubenzer for a Staples catalog as the University receives a substantial discount when ordering from Staples.
Not all transactions can be done with a university credit card. The following MUST be done on the Purchasing Requisitions:
- Orders over $1,500
Questions? Please contact:
- Matt Ollilla, SSA Financial Affairs Director, email@example.com, or
- Rhonda Rubenzer, Student Orgs Account Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please schedule an appointment to assure that the proper time is set aside to answer your questions! Thanks!