How to Start or Renew an Organization
Starting a New Organization
UW-Stout encourages all students to follow their passion. If you have an idea for a student org and something similar doesn't already exist on campus, you can apply for recognition. Please know that the process for starting a new organization can take anywhere from 2-4 months, depending on how much help and support you may need.
- Gather at least 4 members
- Secure an advisor (any willing faculty/staff member)
- Draft a constitution (Samples are available if you need a little direction)
- Submit your request on OrgSync following the steps below.
- Log into OrgSync (www.orgsync.com/login)
- Go to your the “Organizations” tab at the top of the page and click “Add Organization”
- Click the green “Register New Organization” button on the upper right of the page
- Select “Student Organizations” and click submit
- Fill out the appropriate information on both pages
- Click Finish at the bottom of the page
After the above is completed the Organizational Affairs committee of SSA will review your submission and send a recommendation to the Student Senate. The Student Senate will then approve or deny the request to become a recognized student org. If approved, a representative of the org will need to meet with the Organizational Affairs Director to review the student org Code of Conduct.
Renewing your Organization
Your organization has done some great things throughout the year. You've had some great events, added motivated new members, and had a lot of fun along the way. You and your executive board can already envision next year to be even better. But, first you have to RENEW your organization. Organization renewals are required for all student organizations who wish to continue for another academic year. By renewing your organization, you can be assured that your organization continues to be a part of the recognized UW-Stout student organizations. Additionally, this means that your org will be eligible to apply for annual funding and allocation from the Stout Student Association (SSA).
Toward the end of the academic school year! In late spring, your organization will be notified by the Organizational Affairs Director of SSA about signing up to attend an Org Renewal Meeting.
A few simple steps below will put you in the right direction to renew your org!
- Sign up for an Org Renewal Meeting in late spring. You will be notified of 4-5 time slots to choose from. One person from your Executive Board is REQUIRED to attend. Meetings last 30-45 minutes and cover the Student Org Code of Conduct. Note: Sport Clubs will have a separate meeting, which you will be notified about.
- Update your organization's OrgSync profile at the meeting (Bring your laptop!)
- Submit the Org Advisor Form to the Org Affairs Director of SSA (required on an annual basis).
- Renewals will be reviewed and passed on to the Student Senate for approval as a recognized student org.
- The deadline for this process will take place no later than the first week of October for the following academic year. If an organization fails to participate in the renewal process, it will be filed as an inactive organization and all rights and privileges will be revoked.
Have specific questions on starting or renewing an organization? Please contact:
- Steve Lubke, Organizational Affairs Director of SSA, firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Krista Proksch, Involvement Coordinator, email@example.com or 232.1765
Please schedule an appointment to assure that the proper time is set aside to answer your questions! Thanks!