Traveling With Your Organization
Traveling with your organization on trips and events is always exciting! However, BEFORE and AFTER traveling, please remember to complete the necessary forms on the left side of this page.
IMPORTANT: Anyone who would like to be reimbursed for travel expenses MUST HAVE expenses turned into Rhonda Rubenzer (117 MSC) within two weeks of the travel dates. After the two week time limit, expenses will not be reimbursed! Student travel is VERY detailed and often complicated. Communication and attention to details are extremely important for organizations to be reimbursed!
1. Driver Authorization
- REQUIRED for ANYONE traveling with a University Fleet or Enterprise Vehicle.
- Driver Authorizations are valid during the academic school year and must be resubmitted annually.
- Out-of-state drivers (even MN), must be notarized.
- This form should be completed by everyone in the beginning of the school year but a minimum of 5 weeks prior to traveling for the first time.
- Drop off completed forms at the Safety and Risk Management office, Room 130 University Services. They will process the form and send it to Rhonda.
2. Travel Authorization
- ANYONE traveling, regardless of driving or not, must have this form completed with all of the required signatures PRIOR to leaving campus if they will be requesting reimbursement.
- Complete the form electronically and e-mail it to Rhonda Rubenzer.
- She will verify funds, complete the Account Code, reserve a car if you are requesting one, print the forms, obtain signatures and email you when complete
- Stop by her office (117 MSC) after she emails you to sign the form and take a copy with you. You will need to keep this form with you while traveling and when you pick up your vehicle if applicable.
3. Gas Reimbursement Worksheet
- If you are taking your personal vehicle or an Enterprise vehicle and will be seeking reimbursement for fuel purchases, you are required to complete the Gas Reimbursement Worksheet.
- Follow directions on this form and turn it in with your Travel Expense Form.
- Note there are two different forms depending on if you are taking your personal vehicle or the Enterprise vehicle. Be sure to use the correct one!
NOTE: It's required to fill your tank prior to leaving if taking a personal vehicle!
4. Travel Expense Form (TER)
- Complete this form after traveling and email it to Rhonda Rubenzer.
- See a sample form in the left navigation if you need assistance on how to complete it.
Hard copies of the following are required to turn in to Rhonda Rubenzer (117 MSC) with your TER.
- Original receipts
- Gas reimbursement worksheet
- Brochure or flyer of the event you attended
- Itinerary of your trip
- Participant list of everyone who attended from your organization
- Sign the TER when you drop off the items above.
Tips and Reminders
- Everything needs to be completed and turned in within 2 weeks of the travel dates to be reimbursed!!
- Keep RECEIPTS for EVERYTHING!
- Use the Explain Trip/Event section on the form in DETAIL!
- Bring ORIGINAL documentation to Rhonda (e.g: Event brochure, Gas Worksheets, etc.)
- Delays in documentation substantially delays the process!
- The University has fleet vehicles available to meet the transportation needs of the university community. The fleet is composed of four subcompact sedans, four sedans, two station wagons and four mini-vans. NOTE: Vehicle use is charged a MINIMUM of 100 miles per day whether you travel that far or not. The amount is based on the type of vehicle you rent.
- Compact - $.46 per mile
- Midsize - $.51 per mile
- Vans - $.59 per mile
- Please bring your completed Travel Authorization to Rhonda Rubenzer (117 MSC) and she will reserve a vehicle for you!
- For more information please visit the: UW-Stout Fleet Vehicle Services
Organizations wishing to rent vehicles through Enterprise should schedule an appointment with Rhonda to make the reservation. She will discuss the travel plans with you and reserve the vehicle on her ProTravel Card.
If your organization has a large group of individuals traveling, it may be best to reserve a bus. UW-Stout’s charter coach provider is Kobussen Buses. The number to reserve the bus is 1-800-283-4234. Please double check and see that there are funds allocated for this PRIOR to reserving a bus.